We’re delighted to announce additional funding for sustainability PhDs. We can provide 3 months additional funding for PhDs starting Autumn 2021.
The Grantham Centre runs a specialised training programme that equips PhD students from the University of Sheffield to become the sustainability leaders of the future.
We’ve been training students for over seven years now and have more than 70 PhD students. As a result, we have an engaged, enthusiastic and friendly community of sustainability researchers from across all disciplines and faculties. And our students receive more than training, they also have the support of our dedicated team.
We have a diverse community of researchers at the Grantham Centre – and without such diversity we can’t hope to create a sustainable future. But we want to do better. As such, we would love to see applicants (both supervisors and students) from a range of academic and social backgrounds.
So, do you have a PhD student who may benefit from our programme? If so, keeping reading to find all the information you need to have your student become a Grantham Scholar.
This information is for PhD projects starting in Autumn 2021, and our training programme begins in January 2022.
Our PhD students – the Grantham Scholars – receive bespoke training on activism, policy engagement and industry collaboration.
Grantham Centre training provides many benefits in both soft and hard skills. And much of our training fits inside the DDP, through both formal courses and also participation in research events, networking, presentations and study skills.
Further, we also have funds to support knowledge exchange and impact.
Alongside this, we have a dedicated team who work to support the Grantham Scholars. This involves everything from advice on pastoral matters, to support on policy engagement, to communicating their research to a wide audience.
● Pay for specialist training for your PhD student – this includes travel and subsistence costs incurred.
● Provide your student with an additional three months of stipend and fees – subject to you supporting your student to take part in the training programme and their satisfactory engagement with the training opportunities.
[Please note: PhDs can only be funded for a total of four years. If your studentship is already four years long then you are welcome to apply for your student to take part in the training but we cannot provide any additional funding].
● Our dedicated Communications Officer will publicise both your and your student’s research. They will work with your student to create content for our website and publicise it on Twitter (we have 7k followers), & our newsletters (you can sign up to our external newsletter here). Our Comms Officer will also help with the creation of press releases and media contacts.
● We will support your consortia building activity and grant applications and put you in touch with sustainability colleagues across the university.
● And we will support your research impact e.g. alert you to opportunities from policy makers to publicise your research and provide advice about this.
● Attend the ‘Grantham Centre Introduction’ seminar.
● Support your PhD student to take part in the compulsory elements of the Grantham Centre training programme.
● Attend Grantham Centre events, such as our Annual Symposium.
● Support interdisciplinary training courses such as ‘Methods@Sheffield’.
● Undertake activities, for example running a journal club or giving a presentation to the Scholars about publishing papers.
For further information please see our current training programme and website.
To apply for this funding please fill in this Google Form.
If you have any questions about the training programme or your obligations then you can contact Deborah Beck, Grantham Centre Manager: email@example.com.
Stay up to date with all our news – follow the Grantham Centre on Twitter.