*Please note that this opportunity is open to The University of Sheffield members of staff only.*
We invite expressions of interest for the role of Associate Director in the Grantham Centre for Sustainable Futures (GCSF).
GCSF is central to the University Strategy. We equip a new generation of researchers with the skills needed to engage with sustainability issues. We work with policymakers, the media, businesses, and the public to build a fairer world and save natural resources for future generations.
You should have:
– A strong academic background and must be an academic member of staff with a permanent contract at the University (G8 – G10)
– An ability to think and act strategically
– Knowledge and experience of successful funding applications
– Expertise in energy, sustainability or agri-food systems from consumer or producer perspectives
– The ability to work collaboratively with others to achieve change
– Experience of working across disciplines
The role and the team
Your areas of responsibility will include:
– Leading on research funding applications
– Contributing to training programmes
– Representing GCSF at academic internal and external events
– Serving on the GCSF management group and operations group
– Contributing to GCSF strategy and direction
This is a key leadership role and will be incorporated into your existing post through the normal workload arrangements. We will provide you with strong administrative support and resources. Developing our activities and growing our reputation in these areas is a core element of our strategy. The term of office will be two years, with a possible extension for a further year. Terms and conditions will remain as per your existing role.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion at GCSF
GCSF want to build a team of people from different heritages and lifestyles whose talent and contributions complement each other. We are open to exploring flexible delivery of the role subject to business needs.
There is scope to discuss this prior to formal interview along with any other accommodation you may need to fulfil your full potential and drive excellence in the role. We particularly welcome applications from currently under-represented groups including women, people with disabilities and those from Minority Ethnic backgrounds.
Expressions of interest (one page maximum) and enquiries should be sent to Professor Tony Ryan (email@example.com) by the end of Thursday 20th September. Please use email header ‘Associate Director – Grantham Centre’. Following expressions of interest informal discussions will held prior to a formal interview. Please note the revised date to hold for the interviews. This is now Wednesday 10th October 10.30am to 12.20pm.
Grantham Centre Strategy
Our strategic plan is detailed on the following pages, and focuses on building our reputation and growing our income from current positions. The plan is built around three inter-related programmes, and our strategy for each of these is to:
1. Scholars Training
– Develop and deliver a high quality and internationally sought-after training programme
– Foster a thriving community of Scholars who actively initiate external engagement
– Secure external funding for the Scholars programme to cover TUOS match
2. Research and Industry Engagement
– Develop our reputation for world class sustainability research
– Expand the interdisciplinary academic community affiliated with the GCSF
– Grow the total value of industry projects leveraged with GCSF resources
3. Public and Policy Engagement
-Become influential internationally for our public policy work in the agri-food area
– Develop a reputation for authoritative media comment across our whole remit
– Engage with national and local publics across our whole remit